Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Barbecue Shortcut

I was exceptionally close to naming this blog "Try This Now" because seriously: try this now. Being an eastern North Carolinian I have a soft spot in my heart for barbecue, specifically vinegar-based pulled pork barbecue but I don't have the time nor the equipment for the real deal. I certainly don't own a smoker that is capable of holding an entire pig nor do I have the 24 hours or more to cook it. I went to a Tastefully Simple party last year and purchased a "slow cooker pork sauce" which informed me that all I needed was pork butt and this sauce to create delicious pulled pork. They were absolutely correct. However, I couldn't buy the slow cooker sauce in stores so I've played around with a few variations to create some delicious home cooked barbecue.
I love my slow cooker but unfortunately I'm gone from my house for over 12 hours between the commute, school and of course my daily favorite: cheer leading practice. NOT. Most slow cooker recipes only cook for between 4-8 hours so this has to be a weekend recipe for me or in this came the ten days that under divine inspiration the great state gives me for Christmas break. I've also found that I had to stray from the original pork butt recipe because it was difficult to find. Instead I've substituted pork shoulder because its readily available and still cooks nicely. Also, because I couldn't find the sauce I used another brand. Williams & Sonoma has started carrying products from The Pit, a perennial favorite of us Raleigh natives, including their barbecue sauce. Make sure that you choose a sauce with vinegar content so it does not burn in the slow cooker like heavier tomato sauces or add a dash of apple cider vinegar to your favorite.
If you don't eat pork -use beef. And if you don't eat meat period at least try this pepper and onion slaw - whichever you choose relish every bite.

Barbecue Flatbread Sandwiches with Pepper & Onion Slaw

For the Sandwich
1 pork shoulder ( about 3lbs)
1 bottle barbecue sauce
1 package naan or flatbread
1 oz provolone or mozzarella cheese, finely grated

For the Slaw
1/4 cup banana peppers, rough chopped
1/8 cup onions, thinly sliced or shaved
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp dried cilantro or 1 tblsp rough chopped fresh
dash red wine or apple cider vinegar
Pinch of sugar
drizzle of olive oil

1. Combine pork shoulder and barbecue sauce in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours until meat is tender and falling apart or high for 4 hours. Stir/turn every hour.
2. Meanwhile, combine all slaw ingredients and let sit, refrigerated, to develop flavors.
3. Once meat is through cooking heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Grill naan over grill for 1 minute per side until lightly charred.

To serve cut naan into horizontal slices. Add pork to naan and top with cheese and slaw.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment