Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Perfect Snack- Take Two

I love Christmas. I love Christmas more than I love Thanksgiving, which is saying a lot. Since I was little I've been obsessed with the tradition of Christmas. Even as 21 year old college student I cried when my parents put up their first fake Christmas tree and Biochemistry exams prohibited me from decorating it. I've made my poor mother cook the exact same recipes as my Grandmother since I was in grade school. Good luck if she'd like to stray from spiral glazed ham, scalloped potatoes and crescent rolls.
It's time now, though, to start building traditions of our own and maybe, accidentally we've created one. Last Saturday Brett and I geared up for an entire day dedicated to decorating, which incidentally is the perfect opportunity for snacking. Tack up some garland-snack. Stick on an ornament-snack. Wrap a present-snack. And what goes better with the ancient tradition of tree trimming than ye old Mexican?
We love guac in the Scull household but I'm ridiculously and potentially OCD'ly picky about said condiment. When its shade of green isn't possible in nature or its texture more closely resembles baby food, odds are I'm not going to touch it with a ten foot pole. I've tried many different recipes and combined all of my favorite parts of each into this delicious recipe. And who knows? Maybe this appetizer will help your decorating day be quite the fiesta.

Not Your Mamma's Guacamole

3 avocados, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 onion, diced fine
1/2 red pepper, diced fine
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 lime
1/2 tsp dried cilantro (use fresh if available)
1/4 tsp cumin
Hefty pinch of salt
Pepper to taste

1. Roughly chop peeled and pitted avocados and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the zest and juice of the lime to the avocado.
3. Add all other ingredients and use a potato masher to mash. Do Not over mix! There should be some texture left in this guacamole.
4. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment